My FREE Garden 2015-16

So we moved to the station back in June 2014 and to the house we are in now in October 2014. At that stage I was 8.5 months pregnant - I TRIED to get a vegetable garden up and running as I had done at our previous house but at that stage I was done. I gave it a good shot but by the time the wee dude made his entrance - I'd had enough and things sort of died away and failed terribly.

 The garden as it was when we moved in.

The garden as it was when we moved in.

This year I was determined to kick-ass in the garden so back in mid-winter I started building! 4 Raised vegetable gardens was the first stage while trying to ignore the fact that to fill them is a narrow 60m wheelbarrow walk as the only access to bring in soil...

 Miss Izzy getting her build-on

Miss Izzy getting her build-on

The garlic box was the most important one to get going due to the time of the year (Planting on the shortest day to harvest on the longest) and after putting down 101 bulbs, 96 germinated!

 The garlic box ready for planting

The garlic box ready for planting

Over the remainder of the winter the boxes got filled and by the 13th of August I had got impatient and inside I was busy raising seeds! 3 types of tomatoes (Beefsteak, Sweet 100 and bi-colour cherry from www.kingseeds.co.nz)

 The tomatoes, zucchini and pumpkins pre-transplanting

The tomatoes, zucchini and pumpkins pre-transplanting

My peas were the first to come up and be planted out successfully as well as a bunch directly planted - alternating sugar snap, snow peas and flowering sweet peas to help encourage bees into the garden. I am growing these up old sheep gates from the farm as everything has been re-fenced for deer now.

For an impatient person - it does feel like everything is taking aaaaages to get going but in reality everything is well on track, if not a bit premature in some cases!

 The garden as it is today! 

The garden as it is today! 

Admittedly I am super proud of how the garden is looking and love the fact I can say I did 90% of it myself (hubby and dad did a few wheelbarrow loads for me thankfully)

Something that is important to me is being about to recycle and reuse as much gear as possible and spending as little as possible while still getting great reward. All the building materials you see here are off the farm - and will stay on the farm when we move on one day.

The wood was milled on the farm, the bark chips were made from left over pine tree forestry on the property, the sheep gates, as mentioned above were from the old fencing around the farm and the soil I used in the boxes was brought up to the house via tractor where it was removed from a paddock for a new shed.

All I spent money on this year was - seeds ($60), strawberry seedlings ($20), Seasol seaweed fertiliser ($8) and some Tui blood and bone ($8) to help improve the soil condition and some cheap compost ($20)to throw over the top of the raised boxes - Not bad when you see what it started as!

 Next year this will be even cheaper as I plant to harvest seeds from everything I'm growing!

 

A list of the plants I will be growing include:

5 types of tomatoes, potatoes, corn, garlic, eggplant, zucchini, 4 types of pumpkin, spaghetti squash, 2 types of edible peas, 3 types of beans, gooseberries, 3 types of cucumbers, rhubarb, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, beetroot, carrots, spring onions, lettuces, spinach, coriander, basil, parsley, chives, chillies and capsicums...

Yes, I have been overly ambitious... and no, I'm not sure how I will fit them all in!